Carpet and carpet tiles are popular flooring options for both residential and commercial use. Carpets are available in rolls and they are usually used in large rooms. On the other hand, carpet tiles come in pre-sized squares and they are a good choice for commercial areas with a lot of traffic. It is important to consider the advantages and disadvantages of each option before you install one in your house or office. Here are some aspects to keep in mind when you want to purchase these flooring choices.
Carpets are a traditional flooring choice and they are available in a variety of styles. Your choice will depend on the kind of aesthetics you want to achieve. You can get traditional patterns or contemporary designs to match your décor and room function. The tiles offer greater flexibility in terms of design. They are available in vast colors and patterns and every tile is uniquely designed to suit a specific fit. Carpet tiles can be installed to create focal points and add texture and depth to particular areas in a room.
These two flooring choices provide both sound and temperature insulation, which is necessary in certain parts of the house and office. Both carpets and carpet tiles tend to be warmer compared to other flooring materials. They are a great choice if you want an insulated floor. They are also softer than hardwood floors and this makes them ideal for kids’ rooms and offices that need to be silent. Carpets with quality underlay will last for several years if they are properly installed. Carpet tiles are very functional especially if you want them to be installed in occupied spaces. It is also easy to replace the tiles without interfering with daily activities.
Carpet tiles require less maintenance compared to carpets. You can remove specific tiles when they get damaged or stained. It is also easier to replace them when you want to remodel a particular area. This makes them a good choice for commercial spaces.
You need professional installers for these two flooring choices. Traditional carpets usually need underlay and this makes the installation process more complex and longer. Tiles can come with in built underlay, allowing them to be installed quickly and more efficiently, making them a great choice for office spaces. They are available in different sizes including 36, 24, and 18 inches, making it easy to fit them in any room without creating a lot of waste.
Most carpets are made of wool, nylon or polypropylene. Nylon is a popular option for carpet rolls because it is durable and strong. this material is a good choice for offices. Polypropylene is cheaper but less durable. Wool is more expensive because it is natural and is a good choice for hotels. Woolen carpets come in vibrant colors but they are more prone to insect damage and are less durable.
· Carpets can be installed to cover up imperfections on various hard surfaces.
· High quality carpeting usually offers moisture backing and this makes them stain resistant, allowing you to use them in rooms with high traffic.
· Carpet rolls can help you create a softer look in a room compared to tiles if you choose quality underlay material. They also look more luxurious compared to the tiles because their piles are longer.
· Carpets are cheaper than carpet tiles, making them ideal if you are on a budget.
· Carpet installation generates a lot of waste because you have to cut large pieces to fit different rooms. The roll has to be larger than the room you intend to install it in to allow you to get a good fit.
· Carpet rolls are difficult to repair. It is both difficult and time consuming to repair a damaged carpet. You may be forced to replace the entire flooring if a small section gets torn, stained or damaged by mildew or mold.
Carpet Tile Pros
· Carpet pads are not required to install the tiles and this makes the process faster and cheaper.
· They can be installed on different floors including wood, allowing you to create a new look without extensive renovations.
· Tiles can be cleaned easily. You can remove individual tiles for cleaning and replace them once they dry.
· Most tile designs provide additional stain resistance, which is important if you want to install them in a house with children.
· Tiles are cost effective because they come in a wide variety of designs that are not available with traditional carpeting such as textured layouts. Tile designs are printed on top of the material and this allows for greater creativity when compared to the roll carpets.
· They are easier to maneuver, transport, and store compared to the rolls. They will not take up a lot of space in storage and this can reduce costs.
Carpet Tile Cons
· Tiles are not appropriate if you want mosaic designs or large patterns.
· Carpet tiles tend to cost more than conventional carpeting.
· Tile seams are usually visible and they can even look uneven if they are not properly installed.
· They are not suitable for high moisture areas because mold and mildew can easily grow on them.
Carpet flooring is highly popular and you can either install tiles or rolls depending on how you want to use the space. The tiles offer more advantages compared to the rolls especially when you are looking for decorative flooring. They can also be used in high traffic areas that are more likely to get stained or damaged. But carpet rolls will work best if you want something cheap with large patterns.
Determine how you intend to use the space in your home or office before you decide to buy carpet rolls or tiles. You also need to purchase flooring from a reputable supplier to ensure your floor remains in great condition for a long time. Use professional installers to get the right look whether you choose tiles or rolls. Consider these aspects when you select carpet flooring for your home or office space to help you create the right setting.